In June 2012 world leaders meet for the UN Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro in Brasil. The Conference is known as the Rio+20 Conference indicating that 20 years ago world leaders met in Rio to discuss sustainable development.
The objective of the Conference is to
The Conference will focus on two themes, namely
- secure renewed political commitment for sustainable development,
- assess the progress to date and the remaining gaps in the implementation of the outcomes of the major summits - e.g. Rio in 1992 and Johannesburg in 2002 - on sustainable development, and
- address new and emerging challenges.
DIIS researchers have over the years worked on issues related to sustainable development. We have chosen to provide easy access to some of our publications related to sustainable development and the two Conference themes.
- green economy in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication, and
- the institutional framework for sustainable development.